Friday, September 18, 2009

Have You Come A Long Way, Baby?

What's Happening To Women's Happiness?
Even so, only the most wasted of cynics would deny that something's got to give. Not only is this "tough life" significantly tougher on women than it is on men, but the advances of the last 40 years were supposed to have changed things for the better. And not just for womankind, but for each individual woman. The hard-won rights, opportunities, and advantages were supposed to have netted women more than just another burdensome role to play--"you at work." They were supposed to have fostered in each woman feelings of fulfillment and happiness, and even, for the special few, the sustained thrill of living of an authentic life.


That's your problem right there. "The sustained thrill of living of an authentic life" isn't your job, isn't having "rights", or even education. Those are all external things. An authentic life is having the freedom to make the choices that are right for you, your spouse, your family. Not being pressured into making choices because of some dinosaur feminist's legacy or because your man-child spouse isn't man enough to be fiscally responsible.

Do I seem harsh? Good. I mean to be harsh. As a stay-at-home parent, I find it infuriating that I am looked down on. As if I made the "wrong" choice. What do you care? It's not like I'm bothering you. Except I choose differently.

I thought the feminist movement was about giving women more choices but apparently if you make the wrong one, then you're a wrong person. I decided I wasn't going to fall into the feminist trap of bringing home the bacon, frying it up in a pan, and never letting you forget you're a man. (Charlie Perfume Ad reference alert)

As I say, I can work outside the home, I can take care of the home, I can raise the kids. Pick any two.

No comments:

Post a Comment