Thursday, August 13, 2009

Re: Hawking and the NHS

(Originally posted by my husband on NRO-The Corner)
Final post on this. Yesterday, I explained that it is ludicrous to argue that the NHS never gives quality care and that Prof. Hawking is a good example of when it does give world-class care. However, the mere fact that he received such care does not mean that the NHS is perfect I went on to give examples from personal experience of when it gives extremely sub-standard care (I could have included others, like the misdiagnosis of my mother's broken foot as a sprain, which has led to years of pain with no recourse) and tried to explain a) that the system, predicated as it is on restriction of choice, ensures that these examples of sub-standard care remain and b) that the idea that there is a Hobson's choice of NHS or no treatment at all is obviously false.

Somehow, these were interpreted by a Village Voice blogger as:

At National Review, Iain Murray in a series of posts explained why Hawking was stupid and wrong to praise the British National Health Service for saving his life...

I should count my blessings; at least I'm not Daniel Hannan.

P.S. For yet more personal experiences of the NHS, check out Meghan Cox Gurdon's column today in the Examiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment