Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Oscar Yawn

The Oscar nominations are out and yet again, I have only seen a tiny fraction of a handful of these films.

Granted we don't have a lot of money and by the time we've bought the tickets, grabbed some popcorn, and paid the babysitter, we've spent nearly $100. So we only go to the HUGE blockbusters - why spend that kinda money on something we can watch at home. Iron Man and The Dark Knight should be on the big screen in surround sound. I'll rent Frost/Nixon from Netflicks, thank you very much.

The only films I can legitamitely hope get Oscars are:
The Dark Knight
Tropic Thunder
Iron Man
WALL-e
Kung-Fu Panda
Hellboy II - The Golden Army
Presto

Clearly, we are more of the fanboy/girl, scifi, comedy, animation types than serious drama. I did my time as an "Art House Nazi" and only when I saw my umpteenth subtitled film about the same dreary themes of death/sex/bougouisie-are-evil that I realized how very useless and idiotic they ALL are.

Now I'd rather laugh and fantasize than view "reality" through nearly any hollywood lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment