Monday, November 10, 2008

Then Act Like One

If I hear one more conservative pundit say "conservatives are the adults at this party" (or a similar thought), I'm gonna haul off.

Adults don't keep quiet when the kids misbehave or act up. They charge into the fray and settle the kids down (shouting may be involved). Then they ask questions and make decisions.

When have conservatives done that lately?

(For example, the conservative adults of those sixties baby boomers just let the kids run riot. Now we are still dealing with the results of that infantile rebellion. Maybe its too freudian but perhaps when teenagers are allowed to "rebel" successfully, they never grow up.)

If we're going to act like the conservative adults we should be, then we have to agree on a few basic principles. I have some suggestions. See my posts "What's Next For Conservatism?" (yes, I know its long, deal with it) and "25 Things I'd Do If I Ran The Country."

Dr. Martin Luther King once said, "There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, popular, or political; but because it is right."

THAT'S what adults do.

3 comments:

  1. Birch and green holly, boys,
    Birch and green holly.
    If you get beaten, boys,
    ‘Twill be your own folly.

    Andrew M. Lang, ed.
    (The Nursery Rhyme Book, 1897)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your post via The Corner. I agree - if being an adult means not instructing on discipline, sacrifice, delayed gratification, morals, then I want no part of that adulthood. Leading by example only works if people are paying attention.

    On an unrelated note, I'm looking for a conservative Dooce, except with less oversharing. Your masthead looks intriguing. I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read every article you wrote and think you are brilliant. I especially liked the poem about your "future".

    ReplyDelete