Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Don't Ask Me Why

So for reasons I can't explain, I decided to look up the total populations of some U.S. states. I found this table of state populations very handy and helpful.

As a former Manhattanite who still considers leaving The City to be as much of a wrench as my husband leaving his country to be with me in America, the state populations made me wonder what New York City's population is relative to the other states in America.

The population of New York City (not the state, the city) is 8,143,192.

Only 10 states in the union have a larger population than New York City. They are; California, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New York State, Ohio, North Carolina, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

The other 40 all have fewer people in their entire state than this one magnificent city. Maybe New Yorkers are arrogant pains-in-the-butt but look how well (for the most part) over 8 million people from over 200 countries can live in such a relatively small place.

Can't be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment