Friday, November 21, 2008

History of Cut-and-Run?

So I'm reading this article by Mackubin Thomas Owens. The start of the article references Obama taking over from Bush and how to handle the ongoing wars.

Mr. Owens compares the situation to Lincoln during the American Civil War (although neither Bush or Obama are Lincoln). The point is Lincoln didn't think he was going to get re-elected and wrote a "blind memo" saying he was going to fight the war until the next president took over and he had his cabinet sign the memo without seeing it. (Can you imagine that happening today?!?)

The article is fascinating but this quote I found intriguing.
"Buoyed by disaffection with the war, the Copperheads wrote the platform of the Democratic Party platform of 1864, and one of their own, Rep. George H. Pendleton of Ohio, was the party’s candidate for vice president. Although McClellan was not himself a Copperhead, he reportedly said, “If I am elected, I will recommend an immediate armistice and a call for a convention of all the states and insist upon exhausting all and every means to secure peace without further bloodshed.”"
All I could think was "No way, since 1864 the democrats are the party of cut-and-run?, Oh my."

I'm sure I'm completely inaccurate but who cares. Democrats have a 144 year history of preferring peace at any cost to victory (WWI & WWII excepted, I'm sure).

No comments:

Post a Comment