Monday, May 18, 2009

False Lamentations

Dr. Helen talks about how Fathers these days have lost their "status" as the "authority" of the family.

I'm pretty sure this is a false lamentation. I'm willing to argue that since the dawn of humanity, once a pair-bond was formed and children were born, fathers pretty much lost their authority and moms took over - at least in hearth and home.

Example, while yes, there was a law in Medieval Europe limiting the size of the rod that a man was allowed to use in order to beat his wife, there are also innumerable legal records of women being hauled before the local magistrate for beating up their husbands. There is even an Ancient Greek play about wives refusing their husband's "privileges" in order to stop a war. (It's funny because its true.)

What was lost was only the semblance of sole male authority. Healthy couples share familial authority, smart healthy couples admit its the mom who rules the roost.

(I know, I pretty much destroy my own argument when I make that snarky comment above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment