Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What's Consumer Reports Going to Say about This?

(Originally published by my husband on NRO-The Corner)
Environmentally friendly fridges explode, but at least they don't emit greenhouse gases.

Incidentally, my post on shower-heads yesterday made Fark, where many commenters expressed displeasure at the idea that the EPA might be overreaching. This comment made my day:
albo: why not let the market decide?

Because the market is not a omniscient being. It is a set of individuals that make decisions without all information, which can lead to the sum of the actions of the entire set actually working against the interest of the entire set.
The EPA presumably is that omniscient being. On a not entirely unrelated point, educational entities like CEI need money to inform more people the exact meaning of the Knowledge Problem . . .

2 comments:

  1. Given that CU has as its mission:

    Consumers Union (CU) is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves.

    I wonder how they rationalize the EPA with 'consumer empowerment'?

    Perhaps we should ask the all-knowing CU to test if consumers are getting their money's worth from their tax dollars. I'd love to see one of their famous "Best Buy" charts rating countries based on taxes paid and services received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CU President/CEO, Jim Guest, sent me an email today urging me to "demand action" on health care reform.

    My action of choice was to email back a ranting reply ... and I'm sure he would appreciate feedback with an alternative opinion.

    ReplyDelete