Monday, November 10, 2008

For those who protect us

Growing up, my mother always had me say a prayer whenever an ambulance went by for the people in the ambulance. But she never told me what to say so I always felt a bit at a loss.

After the birth of our first child and shortly before September 11th (very bad day for me), I wrote my own prayer. Now both our children, my husband and I say this prayer every time we see a siren whether it is on an ambulance, a fire truck or a police car. I share it with you as I once did on my husband's blog The End of England's Sword (now defunct).

Dear Lord,
Please Bless, Guide, and Protect the brave rescuers we see go by.
And please give Faith, Hope and Strength to those who are waiting for them in need.
Amen.

Just wanted to share.

2 comments:

  1. Our family was in the habit of saying a "Hail Mary" every time we saw an ambulance go by. Your prayer is shorter but habit is hard to break! While I have maintained this habit as an adult, the niggling skeptic in my head always hopes I'm not just praying to ensure the safety of the ambulance drivers as they rush to get donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Molly,

    My skeptic niggles at times too. But when that happens, I always answer with it is always better to pray for someone than not. Once, I heard a sermon that suggested we say "Bless You" rather than something else you when cut off by other drivers. I find that helps as well.

    ReplyDelete