Friday, December 12, 2008

Suck It Greenwich

I grew up in a town that in the late 70s/early 80s was mentioned three times in the book, "The Preppy Handbook".

The town is a bedroom community of New York City called Darien, CT. All white and insular, my family was not a terrific fit (we were neither well-off nor preppy) but the schools were amazing - one of my English teachers was a former editor of Time Magazine, even if most of the people were crap.

Yet even well-heeled Darien was a little insecure regarding flashy Greenwich, CT with its Rolls-Royce dealership and celebrity inhabitants (nouveau riche!).

Well, even though I left Darien in 1985 and except for one brief period, have not lived there since, I am pleased to see that my old town is, according to this article, the second most affluent town in America.

It's pathetic I know since we have NOTHING like the wealth of those people, but I am still taking pathetic joy that Greenwich isn't on the list.

My childhood in Darien was not a happy one and I would never live there again, but how weird that I still feel slightly loyal to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment